This book presents a mechanistic approach―mathematical modeling―for carrying out dental materials research. This approach allows researchers to go beyond the null hypothesis and obtain a solution that is more general and therefore predictive for conditions other than those considered in a study. Hence it can be used either on its own or to complement the commonly used statistical approach.
Through a series of practical problems with wide-ranging application, the reader will be guided on:
How to construct a mathematical model for the behavior of dental materials by making informed assumptions of the physical, chemical, or mechanical situation
How to simplify the model by making suitable simplifications
How to calibrate the model by calculating the values of key parameters using experimental results
How to refine the model when there are discrepancies between predictions and experiments
Only elementary calculus is required to follow the examples and all the problems can be solved by using MS Excel© spreadsheets.
This is an ideal book for dental materials researchers without a strong mathematical background who are interested in applying a more mechanistic approach to their research to give deeper insight into the problem at hand.
Advance praise for Mathematical Models for Dental Materials Research:
“This is a nice addition for research students on how to conduct their work and how to manage data analysis. It brings together a number of important aspects of dental materials investigations which has been missing in the literature. The practical examples make it much easier to understand.” – Michael F. Burrow, Clinical Professor in Prosthodontics, The University of Hong Kong
“The great strengths of this volume are the real world examples of dental materials research in the successive chapters. In turn, this is an outcome of the outstanding expertise of both authors. I warmly recommend this book to the dental biomaterials community worldwide.” – David C. Watts, Professor of Biomaterials Science, University of Manchester, UK
GET IT FREE HERE
It also summarizes the role of the adaptive immunity against viral infections through clearance of virus and establishment of memory response that protects against the recurrent infections. In addition, the book examines the role of DNA and RNA sensors in viral recognition and in controlling viral infection.
Lastly, it reviews the latest developments in the development of the rational viral vaccines. As such it is a useful resource book for postgraduate and early researchers wanting to gain insights into the immune response to viral infections.
The second edition has been completely updated according to current curriculum, and the questions are written in a style similar to the Medical Schools Council Assessment Alliance (MSCAA) bank. Get ahead! SURGERY 100 EMQs for Finals is a helpful resource for medical students preparing for their exams.
The third edition of Oxford Assess and Progress: Clinical Specialties features over 400 Single Best Answer questions that are mapped to the medical school curricula. Packed with questions written by experienced doctors in each specialty, and rooted in real-life clinical encounters, this revision tool is an authoritative guide for students. Further reading resources and cross-references to the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties have been fully updated to expand your revision further on topics you find challenging.
GET IT FREE HERE
2015 BMA Medical Book Awards Highly Commended in Basic and Clinical Sciences Category! Larsen’s Human Embryology works as a well-organized, straightforward guide to this highly complex subject, placing an emphasis on the clinical application of embryology and presenting it in an easily digestible manner. Ideal for visual students, this updated medical textbook includes a superior art program, brand-new online animations, and high-quality images throughout; clear descriptions and explanations of human embryonic development, based on all of the most up-to-date scientific discoveries and understanding, keep you abreast of the latest knowledge in the field.
- Take advantage of the most current advances in molecular biology and genetics.
- Review the material in a flexible manner that meets your specific needs thanks to a user-friendly design.
- Access high-yield content and quickly locate key information with help from newly condensed text and additional summary tables.
- Take advantage of key pedagogical features such as opening “Summary” boxes.
- Visualize complex concepts more clearly than before through a superior art program and outstanding clinical content and images throughout.
- Reinforce your understanding of the material and how it will relate to real-life scenarios with “Embryology in Practice” clinical closers added to each chapter.
- Access the complete contents online at Student Consult! View animations on Eye and Ear Development, test yourself with multiple self-assessment questions, and more!
GET IT FREE HERE
For more than 30 years, the highly regarded Secrets Series® has provided students and practitioners in all areas of health care with concise, focused, and engaging resources for quick reference and exam review. Critical Care Secrets, 6th Edition, features the Secrets’ popular question-and-answer format that also includes lists, tables, and an easy-to-read style – making reference and review quick, easy, and enjoyable.
- Fully updated throughout, with new chapters on neurological monitoring, obesity in the ICU, new ultrasound practices, ICU survivorship, and the latest cardiac technology such as ventricular assist and percutaneous support devices.
- Written and fully updated by clinical and thought leaders in critical care who have contributed chapters in their areas of expertise.
- The proven Secrets Series® format gives you the most return for your time – concise, easy to read, engaging, and highly effective.
- Covers the full range of essential topics in critical care for in-training or practicing professionals, including anatomy, physiology, immunology, and inflammation – fundamentally important topics in the effective care of critically ill patients.
- Top 100 Secrets and Key Points boxes provide a fast overview of the secrets you must know for success in practice and on exams.
- Portable size makes it easy to carry with you for quick reference or review anywhere, anytime.
“Teachers and their students will find this book edifying and enjoyable. This edition has been appropriately enhanced from previous editions. For example, the considerations related to obesity are a welcome addition.” Reviewed by David J. Dries, MD (University of Minnesota Medical School)
GET IT FREE HERE