This book presents the current trends and state of the art solutions addressing various issues related to pulmonary disorders. Diagnostic and therapeutic challenges are tackled, starting with the noncommunicable diseases of sarcoidosis and granulomatosis with polyangiitis. Pulmonary involvement, practically unavoidable, runs an insidious course, and is often occulted by systemic symptoms.
The establishment of a firm diagnosis, with a precision no one could oppugn, is difficult. Other issues pertain to quality of life, disease preventive measures, and the move toward personal health care in chronic sufferers from multiple conditions in later life. There is also an update on the prevalence and diagnostic and treatment challenges of extrapulmonary tuberculosis. In addition, the place of neuroproteomics in modern clinical practice is presented. The practical insights emphasize the role of science in advancing biomedical knowledge and care. The book is addressed to researchers and practitioners, and allied health care professionals engaged in effective patient care and therapy.
GET IT FREE HERE
Reflux is an important factor in many different lung diseases and its manifestations are under recognised. The pathological basis of reflux has recently undergone major changes and clinicians’ understanding has improved with diagnostic technology. This book aims to educate and inform professionals of these latest developments and give practical advice to their application in the clinical setting. It contains contributions written by world experts discussing their latest research, ideas and future directions in this fast moving area.
Pharmacological, surgical and behavioural techniques in the prevention and treatment of reflux are discussed in each chapter. Special circumstances, such as eosinophilic inflammation in relation to asthma, cough and eosinophilic bronchitis are also highlighted. This book brings together the various different strands of research in reflux in relation to airways disease, to provide readers with a board summary of how the different but overlapping areas impacted by reflux affect the respiratory tract.
GET IT FREE HERE
The newly introduced Specialty Certificate Examinations are a compulsory component of assessment for all UK medical trainees and represent the final examination barrier before getting the certificate of completion of training. This book provides a unique exam-specific revision guide for the Respiratory specialty certificate exam.
Comprising of best of five test multiple choice questions and revision notes to facilitate targeted study, Revision Notes for the Respiratory Medicine Specialty Certificate Examination is the only book you need to prepare for this important examination. Questions are based around clinical scenarios and supplemented with images of radiological investigations such as x-rays, and lung function tests. Each question is structured as in the exam itself.
The second half of the book comprises of a series of tutorials covering key areas and difficult concepts assessed in the examination including respiratory infection, respiratory malignancy, industrial lung disease, sleep disorders, standard respiratory tests and medical statistics. The combined approach allows trainees to become acquainted with the “best of five” format and facilitate recognition of areas of weakness and targeted study.
GET IT FREE HERE
With an emphasis on the pathophysiologic basis of pulmonary disease, Principles of Pulmonary Medicine, 7th Edition, by Drs. Steven E Weinberger, Barbara A Cockrill, and Jess Mandel, provides a superbly illustrated introduction to this fast-changing field. This essential text employs a concise and understandable approach, integrating clinical topics with underlying physiologic, pathophysiologic, and basic science concepts critical for medical students, trainees, and those looking for a practical update on both acute and chronic pulmonary diseases
- Offers access to extensive online resources, including author commentaries, video clips, audio recordings of lung sounds, and 200 case-based self-assessment questions – covering topics including pulmonary function tests, physiologic data, and arterial blood gas testing and modeled after the USMLE exam.
- Discusses therapeutic strategies, including the available evidence for assessing relative benefits, harms, and costs, where appropriate.
- Provides an excellent visual basis for understanding and interpreting pulmonary disease with easy-to-understand anatomic illustrations and accompanying radiologic and pathophysiologic images.
- Covers all that’s new in the field, including new CT lung cancer screening guidelines; new concepts in the pathogenesis of asthma, interstitial lung disease, and other pulmonary diseases; and evolving therapies for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, pulmonary hypertension, and advanced lung cancer.
- Features updated information on the expanded use of advanced interventional pulmonology (bronchoscopic) procedures, improvements in precision treatment of lung tumors based on genetic profiles, and new and emerging infections with respiratory involvement.
- Covers hot topics such as lung tumor treatment, including use of genetic markers and immunotherapy; lung cancer screening reflecting the latest guidelines on who, how, and when to screen; and newer bronchoscopic procedures, such as navigational bronchoscopy.
- Expert Consult™ eBook version included with purchase. This enhanced eBook experience allows you to search all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
GET IT FREE HERE
Clinical Pearls in Pulmonology is a concise collection of pearls across ten pulmonology topics. Divided into ten chapters, the book covers topics such as chest percussion, tuberculosis, pneumonia, and radiology, presenting each in a question and answer format. Many procedures, therapies and clinical descriptions are accompanied by illustrations and tables to ensure clear understanding. Clinical Pearls in Pulmonology is a pocket-sized guide for undergraduates and junior residents, ideal for use on the go. Key Points Concise, illustrated collection of pulmonology pearls Topics include chest percussion, TB and radiology 82 images and illustrations
GET IT FREE HERE
Use this authoritative guide as an on-the-job reference ― and to prepare for the CPFT and RPFT credentialing examinations! Ruppel’s Manual of Pulmonary Function Testing, 11th Edition provides comprehensive coverage of common pulmonary function tests, testing techniques, and the pathophysiology that may be evaluated by each test. It also includes information on equipment, computers, and quality assurance, so you can develop the testing skills you need to find and assess lung abnormalities and conditions including asthma, COPD, emphysema, and cystic fibrosis. Written by Carl Mottram, a well-known expert in pulmonary function procedures, this bestselling guide helps you get accurate test results every time.
- Entry- and Advanced-Level objectives prepare you for success on the Certified Pulmonary Function Technologist and Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist credentialing examinations, and follow the content guidelines suggested by the CPFT and RPFT exam matrices from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- How To boxes provide step-by-step guidelines to performing pulmonary function tests, taking the guesswork out of completing accurate and result-producing tests.
- PFT Tips highlight and reinforce the most important Pulmonary Function Testing information in every chapter.
- Case studies provide problem-solving challenges for common clinical cases, including each case history, PFT testing results, a technologist’s comments, and questions and answers.
- Convenient study features include key terms, chapter outlines, learning objectives, suggested readings, a glossary, and self-assessment questions.
- Authoritative, comprehensive resource conveys state-of-the-art information, and eliminates the need to search for information in other sources.
- Criteria for acceptability and repeatability are included in each test section, as well as interpretive strategies to help you adhere to recognized testing standards.
- NEW! UPDATED content reflects the latest guidelines, testing procedure recommendations, and interpretive strategies of the American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society as well as the newest guidelines for exercise testing from the American Thoracic Society/American College of Chest Physicians.
- NEW! Practice tests on the Evolve companion website help you apply the knowledge learned in the text.
- NEW! Summary Points at the end of chapters reinforce important entry-level and advanced-level concepts.
GET IT FREE HERE