“The narratives in this book offer rare and much-needed insight into the lived experiences and contributions of the largest cadre of global health workers: The nurses who have dedicated their careers and their lives to serving the world’s poor.”
—Paul Farmer, MD, PhD, Kolokotrones University Professor
Harvard University; Co-Founder, Partners in Health
Global health nursing—as a career or as a time-limited experience in personal and professional growth—is a rapidly growing specialty area. This unique book presents firsthand accounts from nurses at all professional levels, who share their life-changing experiences and insights with nurses interested in the global health arena. Written with compassion and humor, their stories emphasize the practical, challenging, and rewarding aspects of global health nursing. Contributors describe their motivation for working in global health, along with the rewards and challenges.
The authors discuss the importance of approaching global nursing with humility, respect, and appreciation for what they will learn from their colleagues. They describe how global health work has enhanced their ability to provide quality care to diverse populations, which include recent immigrants living in the United States. In addition to these vivid accounts, the book discusses the parameters of global health nursing, how to prepare for this nursing experience, key resources, global nursing research, and nurses as global health consultants. Woven throughout the book are descriptions of how these nurses have encouraged—through teaching and mentoring—the next generation of global health nurses. The book also provides coverage of domestic global health initiatives.
• Presents firsthand accounts of the practical, challenging, and rewarding aspects of global health nursing
• Describes assumptions challenged and lessons learned
• Written for nurses at all stages of professional life
• Discusses varied opportunities in global health nursing, which includes research and consulting
• Covers domestic global health initiatives
• Assists faculty to prepare themselves and their students for global health endeavors
GET IT FREE HERE
GET IT FREE HERE